Thursday, January 12, 2017

Impressions of a New Googler

For many years, I had an active blog that began with my passion for Apple products and the original iPhone ten years ago.  I published my technology thoughts at https://johnkendrick.wordpress.com/ which is still available if you're feeling nostalgic having just passed the ten year birthday of the iPhone.

But in order to write, I need to be excited about technology and productivity, and for several years now I haven't felt that excitement.  A few months ago that all changed.

Some History

I made a switch back from Apple OS X computers to the world of Windows so I could better support a migration at my workplace from Netware to Windows servers, and from GroupWise to Outlook email.  In order to support the 7,000+ users we would be migrating, I needed to immerse myself in the Windows world.  But after a couple of years, I remembered why I switched to OS X so many years ago.  The slow loading, no matter how fast your machine specs, the worry about malware and the constant updating interrupting your work.  And this really hasn't changed much even in Windows 10.

So What's New

Last fall, I heard about something new, at least new to me.  Not sure how I missed it, but it seems there was a new game in town called Chrome OS.  Now I have used the Google Chrome browser for a couple of years and really liked it, but I had no idea what it was capable of, and decided to try out some of this new technology.

In case others are in the same boat, behind like me, and haven't experienced the Google world in a while, I intend to share my experiences in this blog.  What better place to write about this topic than in the Google Blogger environment right?

So I have to run for now, but stay tuned for my experiences with all things Google.  J

No comments: